Sums to 20 & Differences within 20 – CCSS
Students model, draw, and solve to build fluency and learn to solve problems.
Discount available for district-wide purchases
- Mix & match fully-editable PowerPoints with Story Mats and Recording Sheets to model student thinking
- Join, Separate, Part-Part-Whole, & Compare word problems
- Numberless word problems
- Unknowns in all places
- Sums to 20 & differences within 20
- Number bonds, double ten frames, part-part-whole mats, comparison mats, & number lines
- Build fluency
- Develop problem solving
- Understand problem types
Available in English
Develop 1st Grade fluency, number sense, & problem solving using Building Fluency Using Problem Types: Sums to 20 & Differences within 20.
How does it work?
- Which problem type do you want to work on? Choose from Join, Separate, Part-Part-Whole, Compare, or Mixed word problems. Or if your students are ready for a challenge, use Numberless problems.
- What context do you want to use? Choose from the park, the farm, or a child’s room. Story mats can be printed in color or black & white.
- How do you want your students to record their thinking? After they model on the story mat, then they explain their thinking using pictures, double ten frames, number bonds, number lines, part-part-whole, and comparison mats and write equations to match.
PowerPoints are interactive for teacher demonstration. Drag counters to make a picture, fill in double ten frames or part-part-whole or comparison mats, and show number bonds. PowerPoints are also fully editable. So you can change the numbers or the whole problem. Use in whole group and small group instruction. Perfect for guided math.
Building Fluency Using Problem Types includes:
- 18 interactive, teacher-facilitated PowerPoints with Park, Child’s Room, or Farm context
- 3 with Join problems
- 3 with Separate problems
- 3 with Part-Part-Whole problems
- 3 with Compare problems
- 3 with mixed Join, Separate, Part-Part-Whole, & Compare problems
- 3 with Numberless problems
- 3 student Story Mats that match the PowerPoint contexts
- 10 student Recording Sheets to mix and match with the PowerPoints
- Answer Keys
- Thought Extender Questions to help students get ‘unstuck’ and focus on the math concepts
- 35 page Teacher Guide
- Setting Up for Instruction
- How-To Guide with full teacher directions
- Support for incorrect answers
- Content explanations to deepen teacher understanding of problem types
- Teacher support videos