Grade 5 Master Fractions – TEKS
Students model, draw, explain, solve, justify, and journal to master 5th grade fractions.
Discount available for district-wide purchases
- Prereqs for fractions operations: simplify, common denominators, mixed numbers, & improper fractions
- Add and subtract using models and equations
- Divide whole numbers and unit fractions
- Multiply whole numbers & fractions
- All the operations, all mixed up
Available in English and Spanish
Fractions – traditionally hard to teach and harder to learn – but not with TeachTransform’s Grade 5 Master Fractions. In whole group and small group instruction as well as centers, students use equivalence to teach and review the skills that underpin operation success – simplifying fractions, finding common denominators, changing mixed numbers to improper fractions and vice versa. Then they model and draw, and explain the operations and journal to justify thinking. Perfect for guided math.
Silly characters and contexts keep students interested and develop problem solving grit. This book includes a 4-part story with Lucy Dynamic, Springback Jack, and Carl, the half man-half robot from the future, heading to the Turtle Temple to find treasure. In Part 4, the adventure ends. Who gets the treasure? Students have to read and problem solve to find out!
This book includes activities for the whole class, small groups, centers, intervention, and guided math that build the academic language of fractions.
Grade 5 Master Fractions also includes formative assessment that builds from simple questions to more sophisticated thinking so you can see where students’ understanding breaks down and plan targeted support..
Each activity includes:
- Setting Up for Instruction
- How-To Guide with full teacher directions including questions
- Thought Extender Questions to help students get ‘unstuck’ and focus on the math concepts
- Answer Key
- Content explanations to deepen teacher understanding of fraction concepts
- Instruction extras to support implementation of instructional strategies
Tutoring & Intervention
Grade 5 Master Fractions activities can be used for Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 instruction in 5th grade. The activities in Grade 4 Master Fractions can also be used to catch 5th graders up and fill in gaps without loss of rigor or time. For 5th graders struggling with adding fractions (½ + ½ = ¼?), back up using Wild, Wild West or The Great Salamander Circus to set a solid foundation.
Instructional Alignment from Grades 3–8
Not only is the content aligned among the grades, but the instructional strategies are too. For students who are “growing up” with TeachTransform’s instructional materials, you can expect them, with a little prompting, to give an answer that includes a why, to use sentences to explain their thinking, to question each other in small groups. This lightens the instructional and cognitive load in each grade and leads to mastery.