3rd Grade Applying the Operations – CCSS
Model – Explain – Solve – Justify – Journal
$125.00/Campus for the book
Google Slides Add-on: $75/campus for digital activity add-on with purchase of book – Coming Soon!
Discount available for district-wide purchases
- Choose the correct operation in a word problem
- Understand the difference between 1- and 2-step problems
- Solve 1- and 2-step problems with all operations
Available in English and Spanish
Once students have learned the process of the operations, TeachTransform’s
3rd Grade Applying the Operations helps students know which operation and how many operations to use to solve problems.
Silly characters and contexts keep students interested and develop problem solving grit. Zappo the Magician and Jill-bot the Robot-dog lead students on their problem solving conquests to building engagement and fun while learning the structure of problems.
3rd Grade Applying the Operations includes activities for the whole class, small groups, centers, intervention, and guided math that build the academic language of the operations.
Each activity includes:
- Setting Up for Instruction
- How-To Guide with full teacher directions including questions
- Thought Extender Questions to help students get ‘unstuck’ and focus on the math concepts
- Answer Key
- Content explanations to deepen teacher understanding of fraction concepts
- Instruction extras to support implementation of instructional strategies
Tutoring & Intervention
3rd Grade Applying the Operations activities can be used for Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 instruction in 3rd grade. And the activities also can be used to catch 4th graders up and fill in gaps without loss of rigor or time. For example, for 4th graders struggling to identify the operations in a word problem, use Lemons’ Calculations or Rockman’s Gems. For students having difficulty telling the difference between one-step and two-step problems, use A Fishy Sort or Now Get This.
Instructional Alignment from Grades 2–5
Not only is the content aligned among the grades, but the instructional strategies are too. For students who are “growing up” with TeachTransform’s instructional materials, you can expect them, with a little prompting, to give an answer that includes a why, to use sentences to explain their thinking, to question each other in small groups. This lightens the instructional and cognitive load in each grade and leads to mastery.